This is one of my favorite quick breads to make. Strawberries were on sale last week at Vons for $1.88 a pound so I took the opportunity to buy some. My recipe is a healthier - less sugar and oil (and in my opinion, tastier!) version of the strawberry bread on allrecipes. As some of you may have noticed, I pretty much never follow a recipe as is, but modify it to my liking
Delicious LA Strawberry Bread Recipe
Makes 2 loaves, or 24 servings.
- 1 lb strawberries, stems removed and sliced (approx 3 1/2 cups)
- 3 cups flour
- 1.5 cups white sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 eggs, beaten
- Preheat over to 350 degrees F. Butter and flour (or spray PAM) 2 9x5 in loaf pans (I only had one so I made one loaf, and 12 muffins)
- Slice strawberries and place in medium sized bowl, sprinkle lightly wiht sugar, and set aside while preparing bread mixture
- Combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, salt and baking soda in a large bowl, mix well
- Whisk eggs, oil and vanilla in a separate bowl and combine with strawberries
- Add strawberry mixture to flour mixture, blending until dry ingredients are just moistened (do not over-mix! This will affect the texture of your bread!!!). Batter will be dense and sticky.
- Divide batter into pans or muffin tins
- Bake bread loaf for 45-50 min or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Bake muffins for 20-25 minutes until done. Let cool in pans for 10 min on wire rack. Then take loaves out to cool completely.