I was buying produce at Trader Joe's the other day, when I came across these beautiful and exotic tomatoes. J loves tomatoes, and we recently enjoyed the fried tomatoes he made. We were craving them again, but wanted to a healthier (baked, not fried) version.
I decided to try out a new recipe with these tomatoes - I loosely followed the recipe on the Kumato website.
- 4 (or more, depending on your appetite!) Kumato Tomatoes, cut in half
- 3/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 tsp (or a few shakes of) fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp lemon zest, grated
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 4 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated (I used a combo of parmesan/romano that I already had in our fridge)
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- Preheat oven to 400 F
- Lightly oil or spray with PAM cooking spray a baking pan.
- Arrange tomato halves cut side up in the baking dish
- In a medium bowl, toss bread crumbs with pepper, lemon zest, melted butter and parmesan cheese until well blended.
- Sprinkle each tomato half with the crumb mixture, and bake for 20-25 minutes until crumbs are golden brown.
* If you can find them, Kumatos are quite delicious! :) Otherwise, you can probably make this with any firm tomato. I had oregano on a whim but you can add different seasonings to your liking. I actually had quite a bit of crumb mixture left over, so you can probably use it for more servings of tomatoes, depending on the size.