In a deep heavy pot cook bacon in 2 batches over moderate heat until crisp and transfer to paper towels to drain. Pour off all but about 3 tablespoons drippings and in drippings remaining in kettle cook onions, stirring occasionally, until browned slightly and softened. Transfer onions with a slotted spoon to a bowl.
Add broth, vinegar, brown sugar, red pepper flakes, and about half of bacon to the pot, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Add about half of collards, tossing until wilted slightly, and add remaining collards, tossing until combined. Simmer collards, covered, 30 minutes. Stir in onions and simmer, covered, 30 minutes more, or until collards are very tender.
Serve collards topped with remaining bacon.
Fried (Red) Tomatoes: (Adapted from Best Fried Green Tomatoes @ allrecipes.com)
4 large unripe tomatoes (preferably green but you can use firm red ones)
1/2 cup milk
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup bread crumbs
2 teaspoons coarse kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 quart vegetable oil for frying
1. Slice tomatoes 1/2 in thick, discard the ends.
2. Whisk eggs and milk together in a medium sized bowl. Scoop flour onto a plate
3. Mix cornmeal, bread crumbs, salt and pepper on another plate
4. Dip tomatoes into milk and egg mixture. Dredge in breadcrumbs to comletely coat.
5. In a large skillet, pour vegetable oil (enough so that there is 1/2 inch of oil in the pan), heat over medium heat.
6. Place tomatoes in the frying pan in batches of 4 or 5, depending on size of skillet. Do NOT crowd the tomatoes, they should not touch each other.
7. When tomatoes are browned, flip and fry on the other side.
8. Remove from oil with slotted spatula. Drain on paper towels