Most of the best recipes have a story behind them. There are many different ways to make banana bread - this is the recipe I've been using since high school. I had a friend named Ellen with whom I'd rollerblade or bike with after school. We had a tradition of making the bread and popping it in the oven before heading outdoors. Then about an hour of exercise later, we'd go back to her house and eat warm yummy banana bread fresh out of the oven! This is her mom's secret recipe + chocolate chips. It yields a less sweet, light colored banana bread that pairs really nicely with a few chocolate chips.
Delicious LA Banana Chocolate Chip Bread.
- 1 stick butter (1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 extremely ripe bananas
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- A handful or so of chocolate chips (as many as you like!)
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Mash bananas in a small bowl - set aside
- Cream butter and sugar in a large bowl, add eggs one at a time, add vanilla
- Mix Flour, baking powder and salt in a separate bowl
- Add to dry mixture to butter/sugar/egg mixture, add mashed bananas, stir to blend (batter will be lumpy!)
- Pour into a loaf pan. Bake for 50-60 min or until done.
*Variations: I usually add a generous shake of ground cinnamon. Sometimes, I substitue 1/4 c of flour with 1/4 cup instant oatmeal.