Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Cook: Exotic Butternut Squash and Sweet Potato Soup!


I make butternut squash soup pretty often because it is nutritious and easy! I make it differently every time depending on what spices I feel like adding that night.  Sometimes I add Sweet potato which sweetens things up just a tad.  This is my latest version.   I usually don't use measuring spoons but just add the spices to taste so use the measurements as a guide, but feel free to modify and get creative! It is extremely healthy as there is very little fat and no dairy/cream!


If you use the quantities below, it makes a big pot (I'm guessing 8 servings)

Ingredients:
1 large sweet onion
1 lb sweet potato (or 1 large one) - peeled and cubed
2.5 lbs butternut squash - peeled and cubed (I used 3 12 oz bags of Trader Joe's pre- peeled and cubed butternut squash)
2 T butter
4 cups -6 cups chicken broth (feel free to substitute vegetarian broth)
2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon cumin (gives it a subtle curry kick! add more or less based on your preference)
splash of white wine (ok, more like 1/4 cup) I used asti since i had some leftover



Directions:
  1. Melt butter in large stockpot over medium heat. Add onions and saute until soft and translucent.
  2. Add Sweet Potato and Butternut Squash, stir to coat evenly and cook for a few minutes 
  3. Add Chicken Stock to cover squash (see photo above)
  4. Add spices that you desire (other options include cinnamon & nutmeg) 
  5. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until squash is tender (about 30 min)
  6. Puree soup using hand blender 
  7. Add salt and pepper to taste

No comments:

Post a Comment