- 80 percent lean ground beef chuck (1 lb serves four)
- Cheese - you pick - monterey jack or cheddar (we used cheddar)
- 2 hass avocado (we picked them up from the farmer's market)
- 1/2 diced small onion
- 1 minced jalapeno
- juice of 1 lime
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- salt and pepper
- greens - watercress (I think we used arugula)
- tomato slices
- Bobby's Perfect Patty - Shape 6 ounces of 80 percent lean ground beef chuck into a uniform patty, no more than 3/4 inch thick (don't overwork the meat). Make a depression in the center with your thumb so the burger won't bulge; the indent will rise as the patty cooks. Preheat a grill or cast-iron grill pan to high. Brush the burger with canola oiland season with salt and pepper. Grill until golden brown and slightly charred, turning once (7 minutes for medium-rare). Avoid pressing with a spatula! Add cheese for the last minute of cooking.
- Avocado Relish - Avocado is one of Bobby's favorite ingredients. He mixes 2 chopped Hass avocados with 1/2 diced small onion, 1 mincedjalapeno, the juice of 1 lime, 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro, andsalt and pepper.
- Garnish: According to the recipe, "L.A. doesn't do iceberg lettuce, so Bobby tops off the burger with Watercress instead. (we used arugula)". Add slice of tomato
As seen: served with pan roasted shishito peppers, heirloom tomato salad, and watermelon for dessert.