This sexy and sensational salad is super easy and sure to make your guests swoon! :) The only thing is that you should plan ahead since it is best to marinate it for at least 3 hours.
Seared Squid, Olive, Tomato and Arugula Salad
1 lb squid tubes and tentacles, cleaned
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 lemon zested
1 jalapeno chili, finely chopped
1 small bunch parsley, chopped
extra virgin olive oil
1 bag salad arugula.
handful of cherry or grape tomatoes
small handful of kalamata olives
- Clean squid and cut tubes in half lengthwise. Remove any extra cartilage or particles (we did not have to do anything with the squid we bought from Whole Foods). Rinse and pat dry (with paper towel)
- Marinate the squid with garlic, chili, lemon zest and parsley for a minimum of 3 hours, or a maximum of a day.
- When ready to cook, heat a saute pan over high heat. Drizzle with olive oil and sear until the squid is just cooked (approx 1 minute - it will be opaque throughout) - do NOT overcook! Remove from pan. Squeeze some lemon juice over cooked squid
- In the pan, deglaze with a splash of dry white wine (we used pinot grigio), add chopped tomatoes and olives and simmer for a few minutes.
- In a large salad bowl toss arugula with freshly squeezed lemon juice (1 lemon or more to your preference), a drizzle of olive oil and some pepper.
- To plate, put a small bed of arugula, top with squid, tomatoes and olives!