Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Must Eat: Sweet Rose Creamery, Ice Cream, Santa Monica


In the past week, two of my friends have randomly suggested that I try the ice cream at Sweet Rose Creamery.  They piqued my interest with their description of the unique flavors including salted caramel, banana and blueberry muffin. So tonight, as I was driving home from work with the sun shining through my window (I'm loving the longer days!), I had a sudden craving and took a detour onto 26th street until I arrived at the Brentwood Country Mart.  I was expecting a little market. Boy was I surprised when I found a fancy schmancy collection of cute boutiques and eateries!  As I walked over to get ice cream, I got a little distracted.... I tried on some sunglasses but didn't find anything I loved; tried on a James Perse shirt I loved, but was too expensive (I'll wait until the sample sale this summer).
At last, I arrived at Sweet Rose Creamery! There were so many cool flavors, but I was reasonable (because there was a long line) and only sampled 3 flavors  -  black sesame soy (nondairy), the salted caramel, and the green pea with mint (which tasted as I imagined it would, just like the pea with mint soup that J makes. ...I'll share that recipe sometime soon - it's the perfect spring soup!)


Each of the flavors was delicious. But I thought the black sesame and salted caramel would go better together so I asked if I could get two flavors with the small.  Sadly, they said that I could only get one scoop of one flavor.  I didn't want to spoil dinner by eating 2 scoops of ice cream, so my solution ended up being getting a scoop of the black sesame and a pint of the salted caramel (to bring home to J)

I enjoyed this ice cream so much.  I felt so happy to have found my favorite ice cream shop in LA!  This is a big deal, because I am an ice cream snob.  When I was a teenager, my dream job was to make become a gourmet ice cream maker and inventer of new flavors. Although I didn't end up taking that career path, I still love and savor good ice cream, and appreciate exotic and unique flavors.  

I know a lot of people in LA who love Scoops. But I have to say, I enjoyed my ice cream today a lot more than the ice cream at Scoops.  Lucky for me, Sweet Rose Creamery is just a few blocks away from me! :)

Brentwood Country Mart
225 26th Street, Suit 51
Santa Monica, CA 90402
(310) 260 CONE
Mon-Thus 12pm-10pm
Friday 12pm-11pm
Sat 11am -11pm
Sun 11am-10pm

No comments:

Post a Comment