Sunday, February 20, 2011

Red Velvet: Vanilla Bake Shop, Santa Monica

I frequently drive by the Vanilla Bake Shop on Wilshire, and have always found the shop charming from the outside. After reading some favorable reviews on yelp.com about their meyer lemon raspberry (supposedly, Martha Stewart's favorites) and red velvet cupcakes, I was looking forward to giving it try. It was close to 6 pm (closing time on Sunday) and unfortunately, neither of those cupcakes were available. Not ready to give up, I spotted a red velvet cake in the corner of the case, and ordered up a slice to go.
To my utter dismay, when I got home and took my first bite, I was shocked and surprised... the cake tasted like a wet rag. I closed my eyes, and took another bite. Yuck. The cake was dense and overly moist with a strange flavor that did not resemble chocolate or buttermilk (key ingredients in Red Velvet Cake). The frosting also lacked flavor and tasted like a big glob of whipped butter. I can't speak for the other flavors or baked goods at the bakery (which may in all fairness, may be very good), but this was the worst Red Velvet Cake I have ever tried (and I've tried dozens, maybe even >50).

Grade: F

Vanilla Bake Shop
512 Wilshire Boulevard
Santa Monica, CA 90401
(310) 458-6644

2 comments:

  1. wow, it is a beautiful slice, what a disappointment. i love your honesty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am honest to prevent others from making the mistake of eating something less than delicious!

    ReplyDelete