Sunday, May 8, 2011

Must Eat: MB Post

A couple weeks ago, I drove down to Manhattan Beach to meet up with a friend I hadn't seen for over a decade. Since she lived in South Bay, we wanted to choose something that was in between.  I suggested we try MB Post after getting an email from Urban Daddy about this a new restaurant by former Water Grill chef David Le Fevre.

When I arrived, I was impressed by the decor and ambiance - but as the night continued I realized that it was incredibly hard to have a conversation because of the acoustics.  The restaurant was completely full (make reservations ahead of time!), and I had to shout in order to be heard!  I started out with a cocktail - the "Manhattan Avenue" - manhattan w/ sazerac rye, vanilla, caramel, bacon -  I appreciated the creative name, but didn't enjoy my cocktail much at all. 
I did however, greatly enjoy the bacon cheddar buttermilk biscuits with maple butter and I think this may have been a favorite for everyone at the table! 
The salt roasted baby beets with drake family farm chevre, pistachio and beet green pesto was just okay. I love eating beets, and recently posted a couple of beet salad recipes, which I personally think are a little more exciting than this was. 
Buttermilk Marinated Organic Fried Chicken with lemon rosemary ranch dressing.  This was yummy. Crunchy on the outside, moist and tender meat - it was cut into strips for easy sharing and eating.
Fee Fi Fo Fum Fries - we understood when they arrived  why they were appropriately named this - They were GIANT! It may be hard to tell from this photo the scale, but they were big, thick cut fries. These were fantastic. Yum.
Tuscan Kale and Black Eyed Peas, nueske's bacon - this was a satisfying vegetable side dish. 
Sesame Glazed Veal Short Rib with Kim Chi - nicely balanced flavors, another delightful dish. 
Asparagus, poached hen eggs and chanterelles - this was very nicely executed. 

In summary, we all enjoyed the meal, and thought it was a pretty solid spot for dinner.  I am not as familiar with Manhattan Beach, but according to my friends - it was a bit fancier of a place for MB. I'm not convinced that I would drive to MB specifically to eat there (given that there are quite a few restaurants that I enjoy closer to home), but it is a great choice if you happen to be in that area.

1142 Manhattan Ave
Manhattan Beach, CA 90266
310-545-5405
Mon-Thurs, Sun 5p -10p
Fri-Sat, Fp-11p

No comments:

Post a Comment