I love the beets, and the convenience of trader joe's ready to eat baby beets. Last week, I wanted to try a new salad using beets, and found this fantastic recipe by sophistimom! Don't be put off by the long list of ingredients and multiple steps. This is actually a pretty straightforward recipe. This salad is absolutely delightful and worth the effort.
Fried Goat Cheese and Beet Spring Salad (slight modifications by FJLA), Serves 4
You will need:
- salad greens (I used a package of spring mix)
- a package of Trader Joe's ready to eat baby beets , sliced
- fried goat cheese
- balsamic honey vinaigrette
- 1 8oz package of goat cheese
- zest of 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoon shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp chopped parsley (I didn't have any, so omitted this - it still tasted great!)
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- oil for frying
- mix cheese with lemon zest, parmesan, parsley, and salt and pepper until well blended. Roll cheese mixture into small balls (approx 1 in diameter). Freeze for about 20 minutes.
- Freeze for 20 minutes, roll in egg, and coat with panko.
- Heat oil in a medium, heavy bottomed saucepan (the bottom should be entirely covered). Cook cheese balls until golden brown. When done, remove from oil and place on paper towel.
*Prepare the Balsamic Vinaigrette
- 5 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin oil
- pinch kosher salt
- pinch pepper
- 1 tablespoon honey
Whisk the above ingredients until well blended. Salt and pepper to taste.
*Place the spring mix salad in a large bowl. Add the sliced beets (reserve a few for garnish when you plate the salad). Add the balsamic vinaigrette. Toss to evenly cover salad with dressing. Distribute salad onto salad plates, garnish with fried goat cheese and remaining sliced beets.
Note: if you can't find ready to eat beets, you can roast them yourself by preheating the oven to 350 degrees. Sophistimom recommends placing a sheet of aluminim foiil on a baking sheet, topped by a sheet of parchment paper. Place 2-3 beets (cleaned) on parchment paper, drizzle with approx 1 TSP of olive oil, spring with salt and pepper. Wrap paper/aluminum foil around beets and bake for 60-90 min or until they are tender to the point of a knife. Cool completely.