This salad recipe another gem by Ina Garten. The only modification I made was a little less oil in the dressing. Here is the recipe I used which is doubled to serve 8-10 (party size) To make it for 4, you can follow the original recipe here (but reduce the oil in the dressing by half).
- 2 lb butternut squash already peeled and cubed (we then cut the pieces in half again so they were more like 1 in by 0.5 in)
- olive oil
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons dried cranberries
- 1 1/2 cup apple cider or apple juice
- 4 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 4 tablespoons minced shallots
- 4 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 8 oz baby arugula
- 1 cup walnut halves toasted
- 1 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F
- In a bowl, mix cut butternut squash with 4 tablespoons olive oil, maple syrup, 2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon pepper, toss to coat squash evenly.
- Spread squash on a sheet pan. Roast for 15-20 minutes, turning once, until tender. Add the cranberries to the pan for the last 5 minutes
- While squash is roasting, combine the apple cider, vinegar and shallots in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium high heat. cook for 10 min (I think mine took longer) until cider is reduced to 1/3 it's original volume (1/2 cup)
- Remove saucepan from heat and whisk in the mustard, 1/2 cup olive oil, 2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon pepper
- Place arugula in a large salad bowl and add the roasted squash mixture, walnuts and grated parmesan. Spoon just enough vinaigrette over the salad to moisten and toss. Season / sprinkle with salt and pepper and serve!
Wishing everyone a Delicious and Happy New Year!!!