Since the last couple of posts were recipes for salads, I thought I'd post something meaty! Both J and I enjoy meat pie, but hadn't had it since we moved to LA. I'm sure we could find it somewhere, but we decided to try making it ourselves. It was easy enough (weeknight dinner easy!), and very delicious. We modified this recipe slightly by adding a few sliced jalapenos. We served it with sauteed green beans and a side of ketchup and Worcestershire sauce.Ingredients:
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 cup mashed potatoes (we used leftovers from a previous meal!)
- 1.5 tsp ground allspice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 egg, beaten
- a few jalapeno slices (gives it a little kick!)
- In a skillet, heat oil over medium. Saute onion until tender. Remove and set aside
- Brown beef and pork together, drain.
- Combine onion, meat, potatoes and seasonings.
- line pie plate with pastry. Fill with meat mixture. Top with crust. Seal and flute edges. Make slits in top crust. Brush with egg if desired.
- Bake at 375 F for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.