I've taken advantage of my maternity leave to nest, and have recently returned to baking - something that I haven't had time for in a while. Last night, while surfing the web, a tasty treat on Gilt Food caught my eye and suddenly I had a craving for olive oil cake! I was just one click away from buying it, when I thought, why not bake it myself? I found this recipe online, and we had all the ingredients in our pantry.
- PAM spray (for greasing pan)
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour,
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp lemon extract
- Juice and zest of 1 orange (I used a large california navel orange which produced 2 TBSP zest, and used 4 tablespoon of juice)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- confectioners' sugar for dusting (if desired)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease (or spray with PAM) a 9-inch round cake pan.
- Mix together the sugar and eggs in a medium bowl with a hand mixer on medium speed until blended and light. Drizzle in the olive oil, lemon and vanilla extracts - mix until light and smooth. Add the orange juice and zest and mix well.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in another medium bowl.
- Add the flour mixture half at a time to the wet ingredients and mix on low just to incorporate. (I mixed gently by hand at this stage)
- Pour into the prepared cake pan and bake, 20-25 minutes. (21-22 min for me)
- Let the cake cool 15 minutes, dust with confectioner's sugar, and serve!