Sunday, September 2, 2012

Cook: Watermelon Feta Mint and Heirloom tomato salad


I love Watermelon year round, but there is something so refreshing about Watermelon in the summertime.  Over the summer, I noticed a few watermelon based salads on a few menus and thought that it seemed to be an interesting idea. Last weekend, stocked with a perfectly ripe watermelon and some heirloom tomatoes from the farmer's market- I decided to attempt the salad myself.  We served it with some brioche, grilled sausage, grilled corn, arugula salad and some apps (see bottom photo). It made for a wonderful summer meal!  I loosely based the salad off this recipe that I found online, but adjusted the tomato/ watermelon ratio to my liking, and added slightly less red onion.

Ingredients:
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons chopped mixed fresh herbs (I used mostly mint, and a few basil leaves)
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
4 heirloom tomatoes (medium size), cut in chunks (mine were approx 1 in cubes)
2 cups (I used a little less than half a mini seedlesswatermelon) cubed
a few thin slices of red onion (optional)
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese (more or less to your liking)

Directions: Whisk together the olive oil, herbs, lemon juice and salt in a large bowl. Add tomato, watermelon, onion (if desired) and toss gently to coat. Sprinkle with cheese, toss gently.  I recommend making this salad just before serving - it tastes best fresh!


No comments:

Post a Comment