Sunday, April 3, 2011

Must Eat: Blue Plate Oysterette


As a native New Englander (born and raised until 30) I LOVE a good lobster roll. For a while, my friend Monica and I were on a quest to try as many lobster rolls as we could in the New England region to find the best lobster roll. My favorite was the lobster roll at the Bayside Restaurant in Westport, MA. They also knew how to make a killer pie there.  I especially loved that it was only 5 minutes away from my favorite beach, Horseneck Beach.

When I moved to Los Angeles, I worried if I would be able to find a lobster roll that lived up to New England standards. To my fabulous good fortune, there was. And it was in our new hometown of Santa Monica on Ocean Ave with a fabulous view to boot!  Let me introduce Blue Plate "BP" Oysterette.

This is where J and I go when we want good casual seafood. There lobster roll is kickass. In fact, it was recently named by Bon Appetit as one of the six best lobster rolls across the country!!!  We went here yesterday after our 7.5 mile hike in the Pacific Palisades at Los Liones Canyon.


Here is another view of the delicious lobster roll. It is a satisfying portion of fresh lobster nicely seasoned and served on a top- split brioche roll with a side of house-made fries. 


Here is a view of their menu - as you can see, it's full of yumminess.
Mussels in red curry sauce is one of our favorites. It is served with grilled bread to sop up the delicious broth. The mussels are juicy, meaty and delicious.


The linguine with clams is also a satisfying and pleasing dish.


The lobster mac and cheese with truffle oil is also to die for. 


In summary, we've enjoyed almost everything we've ordered here. As one may deduce from their name, they have a pretty good variety of oysters that rotates (we did not order them today but usually do).  Their homemade desserts (ie. vanilla bread pudding or apple crisp) are fantastic as well (if you have room after your meal). :)


Note: They do not take reservations and are extremely popular on weekend evenings. If you try to go on Friday or Saturday, you may need to wait > 1 hour. Leave your phone number and walk around the promenade.


Blue Plate Oysterette
www.blueplatesantamonica.com
1355 Ocean Avenue
Santa Monica, CA 90401
310-576-3474

No comments:

Post a Comment